Friday, August 29, 2008

Huskers To Go 9-3--What The Heck

I've been going back and forth over what to say about this season. This Old Husker Fan has tried to come up with a season that this one compares to, and frankly, I can't. Even back in 1962, Devaney had some recognized All-Star talent to work with in putting his 1st season together.

So I thought about 2002--the year following Eric Crouch, when Jammal Lord took his turn at QB. We know how that one turned out--7 & 7, which was then followed by Husker Nation's first look at Bo Pelini, and then...and then...and then...

But you know, no fan wants to start the season with a comparison to a .500 campaign. (Well, unless you root for the Chiefs in the NFL. Which I do. Sucks.)

Noooooo!!! This being a fan thing is about OPTIMISM. There's enough reality out there.

So, with that, I'm going for a 9-3 season. I think that Bo's leadership and the intensity and organization of the coaches, plus the guys' desire to wash the bad taste of last year out of their memory, are worth 4 more wins than last year. That's a bunch--but keep in mind that the hardest part of the game to organize--the offensive scheme--stays largely together with Shawn Watson still on the staff. Plus, there's senior QB leadership in Joe Ganz. That is a HUGE intangible. Follow that up with a bowl game, and we're back to 10-3 with a boatload of momentum and the program coming back together. 10-3 would also be the same record that Bo was part of in his year as D-coordinator in 2003. How's THAT for a pair of bookends??

I think we start out tomorrow with a 2-TD win over Western Michigan. At least. I think we put the hurt on these guys. And wouldn't a Pick-6 for our guys be a hoot??!!
(Having said that, I'll be happy with a one-point walkoff. Just win, Bo.)

Basically, the way the schedule sets up with both Mizzou and KU at home, I think our guys have a chance to pull off the same type season, with momentum building throughout, that the program did in 1969. (Of course, that year featured an early loss 31-21 to Southern Cal--but it was a knock-down game the whole way.)

Losses that I see this season are: Mizzou; Tex Tech; OU. Call me goofy, but I think that our guys have the talent and chutzpah to take care of everyone else--including KU.

However--what if tomorrow starts out with the worst-case scenario--a loss? (Hate to think about it, but I'm sure Michigan didn't expect App State to eat their lunch at Ann Arbor last year either.) Well, sports fans, as we know, that's why they play the game. And at that point we will just have to keep chuckin' and let the coaches and players sort it out. Of course, if a loss happens, I'd love to be a fly on the wall at practice next week.

This is going to be exciting. I'll be there gettin' after it with everyone else in Husker Nation far and wide! See you at the game! I'll be the guy in the red shirt and white cap!

Go Big Red!!!

The Old Husker Fan

No comments: