Monday, September 8, 2008

Thoughts On An Ugly Husker Win

The Huskers' 35-12 win over San Jose State last Saturday was one of those ugly wins. But those things happen from time to time. Here are my thoughts:

1) The D-Line--not the O-Line--is emerging as a force. All the guys on the defensive line are playing hard and smart. After last year, who would have dreamed that a D-lineman would grab a Pick-6 like Suh did last Saturday? What was also very impressive was how Pierre Allen came in when Barry Turner got hurt and played like a champ. And Steinkuhler and Potter have their motors running full steam (what a grab by Potter in the 4th quarter on a ball thrown right at him!). I just hope these guys can hold up, because they're starting out great.

2) I felt that the preseason talk about the O-line being dominant was a little premature--and things are playing out that way now. I don't know what the issue is--but I didn't see any explosion off the ball as I was watching from the south end zone for the Western Michigan game, and from the sounds of things Saturday there wasn't any explosive charge either. What bugs me is that the interior line--center and 2 guards--don't seem to be making it happen.

3) Running back I think needs to be mainly a Lucky-Helu split. Castille has played himself out in my opinion. This guy is a fumbler. He was last season and he's doing the same thing again. Lucky and Helu are both potential game-breakers (I think Helu is the real deal at RB). You can work 2 running backs successfully, but there just aren't enough plays to get 3 guys into the game and get them going. Coach Watson needs to make this move immediately.

4) It's obvious that special teams play is getting more attention--not only by having Niles Paul as a returner, but also the move to put Alfonso Dennard back there with him. That kickoff return was as clean as I've seen for a long, long time. Remember--the team concept is offense, defense and special teams. We clicked on 2 of the 3 last Saturday (defense and special teams) and that will get you a long way.

5) I'm very uneasy about the Husker safety play. Once again, there was a long ball right down the middle that they gave up last Saturday. I have questions about Asante's decisionmaking and about O'Hanlon's speed. I think that Sam McKewon picked up on that very well in his rundown of the game. Here's the link: http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2008/09/07/48c4a2f530a9c

6) Last, but not least and in many respects the most important---despite the errors, the players are I believe truly playing for each other and the coaches--and the coaches are intense but not mean in their coaching. I was very encouraged to hear the reports of the reactions early in the game on the sideline--where there was discussion and coaching, but not in-your-face yelling and calling guys out. I think Bo and his staff really have their heads on straight in that respect, and that will be a big, big plus going forward. Because, as we all know, the season ain't getting any easier.

Go Big Red!!

The Old Husker Fan

No comments: