Friday, October 17, 2008

Huskers Are Poised To Make It Happen

The Huskers are going to take it to the 'Clones. You heard it here last (probably). But at least it's out there before the kickoff (11:30 a.m. CDT Saturday the 18th).

I may be wrong, and if that's the case it'll be back-and-fill time---and I'll be blogging about how this is, after all, the first season for Bo & Company, etc, etc, yada, yada, yada.

But, I don't think I'm going to have to write that blog. And, I'd sure hate to be going on with some weepy oh-gee-I-don't-know-how-things-will-go type comment---only to be blown out by a decisive Husker showing. To say or think otherwise would be to totally negate that gutsy performance in Lubbock a week ago. (I mean, did anyone really think that that game would go to overtime??)

I'll admit, I was doing some wavering earlier this week. I was wondering if the showing against Tex Tech was a big ol' nugget of fool's gold dug out of the Llano Estacado. And then--and then--came some revelations--both in print and on video highlights.

First, print. Carl Pelini--defensive coordinator--talked at the Big Red breakfast this a.m. There were 2 things that he said that stuck out:
1) The coaches worked the players' butts off from the get-go in winter conditioning last winter, to get them used to adversity and hardship. "I started feeling guilty," he said.
2) Coach Carl said that practices this week were the "...fastest and most violent that I've ever seen..." That tells me me something VERRRRYYY significant---these boys are starting to feel it--and it's no BS sensation. We've got us a team working here, Husker fans.
Here's the link, by the way: http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2008/10/17/48f898a15d702

Now, to the video highlights---Niles Paul is turning into a bona fide playmaker. His kick return in the 2nd quarter against Tech--when he came within a whisker of taking it to the house--featured some major-league running along with, yet again, some darn good special teams blocking. This dude has some wheels! When I saw that kick return, I thought--"Hey! This looks like a big-time college kick return here!! WHOA!!!!"
Couple these 2 things with the fact that I think the offensive line is starting to come together, and I think there's some serious football ahead over the next 6 weeks. Hang on, folks---I truly think that there's some fun times just around the corner--starting Saturday morning.

GO BIG RED!!!

The Old Husker Fan

No comments: